Bad breath not only is a big turn off; but can also affect your social life in a big way, in addition to speaking volumes about your poor oral hygiene.
A simple way to check if you have bad breath is scraping some saliva from the back of your tongue and smelling it after a while. If this smell bothers you; it can do the same to people around you as well. Its time you understood the causes and learnt some ways to keep bad breath away.
Bad breath is often caused by bacterial build up in the mouth, caused either by smoking, poor oral hygiene or poor eating habits.
Here are 10 useful tips to banish bad breath and get a refreshing smile.
No two people, not even identical twins, have similar teeth structure or tongue print
People in China and India have been using toothpaste since 500 BC, the earliest in the world
- Brushing and tongue cleaning: Brush your teeth properly, twice a day and clean your tongue each time as well. Using a fluoride toothpaste and tongue cleaners for cleaning till the back of your tongue, helps get rid of smelly bacteria.
- Rinsing the mouth: Rinsing your mouth after eating or drinking helps maintain your mouth’s ***pH levels*** and prevents too much acid build up thus, keeping bad breath away.
- Flossing every day: You must floss your teeth once every day. Flossing takes out food particles that are hidden in between your teeth. Dental problems like ***plaque*** and ***periodontal*** can also be avoided by regular flossing.
- Using natural/herbal cures: Having green tea is good for your heath as well as in fighting bacteria build up in the mouth. Yoghurt helps with sweeter breath, by replenishing the good bacteria.
- Peroxide gargle: An anti-microbial mouthwash can help you if you have excess plaque. You can also gargle with ***peroxide*** to get a fresh breath.
- Vitamin C: Fruits with high level of vitamin C help kill oral germs.
- Increase water intake: Lack of fluids leave your mouth dry, causing germ build up and bad breath.
- Stop tobacco usage: Smoking and tobacco chewing causes rotting of the teeth, thus leading to bad breath.
- Don’t rely on mints: Using mints can only cover up bad breath and not combat it. They will not help in killing the bacteria in your mouth.
- Visit your dentist: You must visit your dentist every six months for cleaning teeth and a general oral examination. Your dentist will be able to check your mouth for cavities and gum diseases that cause bad breath and give you tips to maintain a fresher breath.
Follow these simple tips and ensure that you enjoy good oral health.